Linz

Linz Loves Romance

Duke of Desire
Elizabeth Hoyt
Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
Lisa Cron
What Happened
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Your A Game: winning promo for genre fiction
Damon Suede, Heidi Cullinan
Afterburn - Sylvia Day 3 1/2 stars. I liked this but I didn't love it. (You are warned: this review contains SPOILERS and spoilery wondering.)

Most of the things I liked about Afterburn were the non-romance parts and characters, including the setting of New York, the escapist elements (fashion, extravagant lifestyle, fancy cars, "ordering a car", food descriptions, etc.), how Gia has a female mentor Lei (woo!), Gia's adorbs Italian family and restaurant, and some time spent on Gia's career aspirations. All good things. What seemed a bit jarring to me, and I'm not sure if this is the Harly-factor or Cosmo or what, but at times Jax seemed like a throwback 1980s romance hero: impossibly sexy and good-looking and wealthy, inexplicable motives (at this point)--seriously, would a 27 y/o just stop seeing someone without a word? No texting? No phone calls from Gia? Especially when it is implied that he has loved her all along, so we get the sense he was pressured by his family to break up with her?--and the way he "knows" her body and what she wants sexually way better than she ever could. Not my favorite, along with the overly analytical (and pointless) wondering about what is going on in Jax's head. It read like a Cosmo article of How to Figure Out What He's Thinking. Just. No. I would have loved for Gia to just come out and ask him and make some requests about what she wants instead of vowing to figure him out.

Still, I LOVE Sylvia Day's style--her smexytimes are so, so hot--and I think we'll get to some interesting conflict between Gia and Jax. Just not in this book.

So, drink if you've got 'em and enjoy a good beach read novella.