Linz

Linz Loves Romance

Duke of Desire
Elizabeth Hoyt
Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
Lisa Cron
What Happened
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Your A Game: winning promo for genre fiction
Damon Suede, Heidi Cullinan

Necessary Restorations Mini-Review

Necessary Restorations - Kate Canterbary

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to leave a little review. This is book #3 in The Walshes Series by Kate Canterbary. (Yes, I started with #3. :) ) After a meet-cute in a very faulty elevator, architect Sam and musician Tiel forge an odd friendship. They pull each other into their worlds, slowly making their way towards more-than-friends.

Tiel is a great heroine. She's strong and independent and seems to know herself from page one. She wants Sam but she won't compromise to be with him. Finally, finally, they decide to try for a relationship and, strangely, Tiel freaks out. It was an odd flip but I liked how it made her more well-rounded.

Sam took a lot longer for me to warm up to. He's shallow and a walking bucket of issues. The guy is weirdly insistent on "women give me blowjobs" as his sex life. He also stares at Tiel's "tits" quite a bit. I almost put this book down a few times in the first 10% but I kept going for Tiel and I'm glad I did.

Without giving away spoilers, I thought that Sam grew on me and had a big character arc. I was rooting for him in the end. I loved Canterbary's voice and humor. There are complicated family relationships, which I also connect to, and the sense that these are adult characters. I'll be reading more from this author. :)