Linz

Your A Game: winning promo for genre fiction
Damon Suede, Heidi Cullinan

Beautiful Stranger Mini Review

Beautiful Stranger - Christina Lauren

I've been reading a lot of Christina Lauren's books over the past couple of weeks, but I still haven't read the first of this series, Beautiful Bastard. This one is the second in the series, but I don't feel like I was missing anything by starting here.

Sara, recently split from her cheating boyfriend, relocates from Chicago to NYC. Out with her friends (Chloe, from Beautiful Bastard), she meets Max at a club. They hook up at the club but don't exchange names or numbers. Max is British, "gorgeous" and "really tall." He's also a wealthy businessman, investing in art.

Sara works for Bennett (hero of BB) as his new VP of Finance of a public relations company. Max pursues/stalks her when he sees her at Bennett's new offices.

Sara and Max's relationship centers around their shared kink of enjoying public sex. It also includes cellphone pics and videos "but no faces." I found their smexytimes interesting and creative, but it took me a while to buy into the romance.

I really liked Sara. She had a shitty ex and knew enough to know it wasn't a great time to get into a new relationship. Max, as a character, felt uneven at times. In the first few scenes, he didn't come across as British. Maybe him being described as having really large hands made him sound like a basketball player? I don't know. His dialogue just didn't read British to me until about one-third in. So, I liked that he was into Sara and he eventually falls hard for her. He felt like a bit of a millionaire/billionaire caricature in some scenes.

So, I liked it but I didn't love it. By the end, I was rooting for Sara and Max to be together and they made sense as a couple.